Sea Minor, a John Welsford Navigator.

This blog is about Sea Minor. I'm not sure about the name but that is what she was been called by the man who built her and changing a boat's name is a tricky business because you have to avoid upsetting Poseidon the god of the sea.

Sea Minor is a Navigator, a boat designed by John Welsford. Her vital statistics are: overall length 4.5m (14ft 9in), beam 1.8m (5ft 10in) and design weight is 140kg (309lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/navigator/index.htm.

If you would to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Back On The Trailer

The bottom is painted and today I turned the boat over so it is right side up and back on the trailer. Over the past 3 days I have done a bit of touch up painting and a lot of running around in the car. As a result of the car trips the outboard has been serviced, the main and mizzen sail batten pockets have been modified so the battens can be removed (previously the battens were sewn in) and the trailer has an additional roller towards the front. With the boat level on the trailer I stood the mast up and worked out where the mast step needed to be to give the correct amount of rake. At the same time I measured the length of the side stays and the wire that holds the end of the bowsprit down. These wires have been made up and tomorrow I will begin adding fittings to the boat.

Here's a photo of the boat in it's final colour scheme.


If the rain holds off tomorrow I should be able to fix the mast step in place, fit the chainplates and stand the mast up so that the rigging process can begin. Will post more photos as it comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment